Saturday, August 11, 2012

My Road To Sparkle


+
Sparkle - coming August 17th to a theatre near you

The Interview
Monday August 15, 2011
I interviewed for "Sparkle" via telephone with Mara Brock Akil, Debra Martin Chase and Gaylyn Fraiche , the writer and producers.  The Three were in Los Angeles and I was at home in south Florida.  They were curious about the seven-year gap in my career.  Let’s be real, I took a break to raise my kid.  No apologies!  No regrets! I made sure they understood that even though I took a hiatus from the industry that I never stopped doing makeup.
I kept myself busy teaching about the entertainment industry, being an agent, doing makeovers, weddings, even a brief stint as the Lancome makeup artist at Saks Galleria,  as well as teaching period makeup. My priorities had shifted. I had already missed  my son's first day of school and I didn't want to miss anymore crucial and important moments.   There are no rewind buttons. 

Our interview centered on my 25-plus years in the industry and how I would translate that to the movie.  How would I go about creating a contemporary twist on '60's-era makeup with an emphasis on “retro-chic.” From my teachings and my history I felt confident about my responses. 

We also discussed the duties of a department head and the importance of having a strong one to run the show.  From the many period films that I had headed in the past, running a department is so much more than doing makeup. It's really about organization, delegating responsibility, budgeting and time management.  Period films in particular need someone who knows the era well enough to manipulate it, especially to create a "fresh spin on a dated look."


After the Interview
Overall, the interview went well.  We said our polite goodbyes and they all assured me they would be in touch.  I had my doubts about them calling.  I was so excited at the prospects of returning to the set.  My son had just left for college and this was the perfect opportunity to do another film, especially a period piece.  But my excitement quickly waned as reality set in. It might indeed be difficult for them to take a chance on me since it has been awhile since I department- headed a movie.  And let's face it, I am no spring chicken, so the thought of 18 to 20 hours per day on a set was exhausting in and of itself. I decided to put it in God’s hands and not to sweat it out.  I told my husband that if it’s for me, I’d get it.  So I to put it out to the universe and left it alone. 

Life continued as usual, and Sparkle took a backseat in the recesses of my mind.  I continued creating curricula for my live online makeup classes, which had just been launched.  I was also preparing to relocate my aging parents from New York to live with me. 

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Love this..Marietta Is Amazing..And One If My Fave Artists..Inspired..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove you Marietta! Welcome back to movie sets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the movie today Marietta! Is was great and the makeup was absolutely spectacular. Thank you so much for being so open and honest with your experiences. You are such an inspiration to me. God Bless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marietta. I had the opportunity to recently take your class this afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to speak to us today. My affirmation for the rest of the month and in January is not fall in the shadows of someone else's dream but to follow the path that God has laid out for me!!

    ReplyDelete