Monday, March 30, 2009

Period Makeup




Today started off with me feeling very sick and nauseous but I couldn't let it stop me from doing my class, so I had Errol drop me off. I was excited about this class because I was teaching period makeup, Renaissance to 1990's. I worked really hard at putting together a power point presentation. I scanned photos from every decade as well as wrote numerous notes for every period. Gotta say, I was very happy with the entire presentation. Preparing this class was a lot of work and a lot of fun because there is so much research involved, it brings out the researcher part of my personality. It also confirms my love of makeup. I gave my students a lot of homework because part of being a great makeup artist for film is your ability to research and bring real life to the character. So tonight they have to research and develop two characters from two different periods. In class they will have to present the characters as well as how they are going to execute those characters. They also have 40 questions to answer over the next two days. I did a demo of the 20's and then they had to do hands-on of the 20's. They worked on each other then we critiqued the applications. I made suggestion and they had a chance to make corrections which went really well. They got it. that's very exciting. When that light bulb goes off, I feel good. After cleaning up, we watched Elizabeth and Titanic. Watching these two movies also gave them opportunity to look at two very different periods. So, even though I started my day feeling like shit, I felt great seeing how much was accomplished. Way to go.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Marietta,
    My name is Anna-Marie and I am a fledgeling makeup artist.( I just finished a Makeup course at MUD) I'm very interested in working in Period Productions, but I don't know where to find a course in this area. I see that you have taught such a class. Do you still teach this course? And if so do you teach it in the NYC area (or do you know someone who teaches in NYC) you can reach me at: amslawrence@gmail.com any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks for you time, AM

    ReplyDelete