Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday Morning HDTV & The News...

It's Monday morning and I've been up for a while, catching up on back papers and getting reading for my class.  Today I am teaching the basic principles of  HDTV.  I think HDTV is cruel to anyone over the age of 10.  As beautiful as the end results maybe, it is just not forgiving.  I look at the news some nights and I can barely stomach the site of some of the bad makeup.   When are station owners in markets like Miami going to "get it", and realize that anchors are not makeup artists.  It's like me broadcasting the news at night, even though I may do a good job of it, I am not a news anchor.  I am a trained makeup artist.  Well, they are trained journalists, not makeup artists.  So can someone tell these station owners that these local markets need makeup artists and stylists because HDTV shows everything.  It brings the flaws to life.  Don't take my word for it, tune in the the news at night and see for yourself.  Pick a station, any station.  I don't make this stuff up. 

To all my aspiring makeup artists, if you are heavy handed, you may have to rethink you application techniques when doing makeup for HD.  HD is about blending, blending and more blending.  Not like the old analog format, you have no room for flaws and demarcation.  No hard edges.  So blend, blend, blend.  Now you can try some of the many new formulations for HD, but guess what...you still have to blend, blend, blend.

So off I go to class to teach them how to do what.  Blend, Blend, Blend...

No comments:

Post a Comment